Last week, two students at Lincoln Elementary school in Salt Lake City, Utah, were hospitalized after eating cannabis-infused brownies at the playground; five more students also felt sick after ingesting pot edibles.
The Salt Lake City School District reported that one of the students had brought cannabis brownies from home and shared them with some of the sixth grade students.
According to WGHP FOX8, the local police were surprised when they found out that all the children had known that brownies were infused with cannabis. Nevertheless, they took the edibles and felt sick soon afterwards. Two of them finally were sent to the hospital to seek medical treatment.
After becoming aware, the school district immediately began investigating the incident. The agency contacted the parents of all the kids involved in the events, and the school officials ensured that it was an isolated incident. In addition, the school district is going to take corrective, disciplinary, and even remedial actions to prevent similar cases.
The school district principal underlined the importance of children's awareness of the dangers caused by drugs like marijuana. Children should receive information about the health problems related to the consumption of drugs from their parents and teachers.
Thus, the parents of the students were sent a warning letter with two links regarding cannabis use from the Partnership for Drug-Free Kids. The first link contains general information about marijuana, while the second one includes tips on how to speak to kids about the herb.
The school district will authorize the counselor to work with sixth grade teachers to develop and implement lessons that will teach students the necessary social skills that will help them make drug-free choices and lead healthy lives.